Forastera Cusqueña

My adventures in Cusco, Peru and the surrounding area for the Fall 2007 semester!

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Todavía diahrrea

The title of this blog entry is the name of a song that my friend Amy is going to write about her experience in Perú. Unfortunately, it also describes our trip to Machu Picchu.

The first day we met up with our guide Johan (who had an annoying habit of saying señoritas about a thousand times per sentence) for our 6 hour hike from km. 104 on the camino Inca. I thought that it would be fairly leisurely, having heard that it was the easiest hike you could take to Machu Picchu. I was wrong. It was really hard. A lot of the time I could barely breathe. I had to be given oxygen several times. It was quite scary. I guess being here 2 months to get used to the altitude wasn't quite enough time for my poor lungs... At least the path itself was beautifully green and full of flowers and trees and all the things I've been missing in the dry season in Cusco. I just wish there weren't so many steps... I can't even imagine doing the 4 day hike! Most of the group did do that one, and they haven't come back yet to report on how it went.

When we finally arrived at Machu Picchu to catch the last bus down to Aguas Calientes, we were able to see Machu Picchu as the sun was setting behind the mountains. It's really an incredible sight, a gigantic stone playground that was once an amazing city full of the religion of the Incas and wondrous irrigation systems. I was too tired then to enjoy it, but I figured I had the entire next day...

We hiked up the hill to the medicinal baths that gave Aguas Calientes its name. They smelled a bit like egg drop soup, but they were pretty southing after a long day of hiking. Then we ate dinner at a small hole in the wall of a restaurant that I am now blaming for the stomach problems both Amy and I woke up with the next day. What a ridiculous day to be sick! I was pretty disappointed, but I pushed myself enough to take the tour up and down the city for a few minutes before I was too exhausted to move anymore, having only eaten crackers and running to the bathroom at least every ten minutes. Fun times. Hopefully someday I can go back and experience Machu Picchu the way it should be. But for now I'm probably going to look back on it as poopy times.

Luckily for me my stomach issues seem to have cleared up pretty quickly at this point. Last night I was able to go out for dinner with Edson and Maria so that they could try falafel. As far as I could tell they liked it. I think they actually liked the hummus best. This weekend I'm planning to go camping in Pisac with Evelyn and Edson, so I'm pretty excited about that! Until then, I hope these blog entries have satisfied you and filled you in on all you've been missing.

I miss you all!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

i have no interesting comments but i just wanted to say ive been reading. so glad youre having fun :)

Anonymous said...

gross.im glad that you didn't go into detail or too much i guess about your sickness.i really really miss you & btw thanksgiviving will definitly not be the same without you & i think it is unfair that it has to be that way but atleast youll be back by crazy christmas time. i hope you are having a blast!Oh & if it makes you feel better i personally had the opposite experience at machu pichu, well i was also feeling sick like you, however i was still forced to engage in all of the activities & spend my time waiting for daddy to take photos at the bottom of the stairs.
p.s-im about to message you on facebook...just give me your e-mail & we'll go from there. i have a lot to tell you. i love you,
Steph

kate said...

hi laura! when do you get back?

your sister and i have been having oodles of fun, and i think you would enjoy the festivities as well.
take care! see you soon! (?)